TVA lake information

Click HERE to search for properties

About the Process:  Dock Permits on the Lake

With a complete application the process takes about two months to complete. The fee for new construction is typically $500; the fee to re-issue a permit to a new property owner is usually $250.

You can apply through the mail by downloading the application form and sending it to the TVA Regional Watershed Office that covers your reservoir.

For a detailed walk-through of the Section 26a application process, see the Application Instructions. Or, to find out more about Section 26a and how it applies to your situation, read our Shoreline Construction FAQ.

Are you exempt? Probably not. However, some projects located upstream of the control or influence of TVA’s operation or management of the reservoir system need not apply. Click here to read TVA’s rule regarding these exemptions.

Is your dock grandfathered?  Maybe. But you still need to apply to TVA for approval to make any changes to the permitted facilities or shoreline alterations. And if you just bought, the property, you need to apply to TVA to obtain a permit in your name. For more information about Section 26a permits and buying and selling water front property see the links at the right.

PLEASE NOTE: You may also need additional permits from your state’s water quality office. If you need a permit from your state’s water quality office, TVA may not be able to issue your 26a permit until you obtain that permit or a waiver. Please contact your state’s water quality office early in the process to minimize delays in receiving your 26a permit. Find a list of state water quality resources on our FAQ page. You may also contact your TVA Regional Watershed Office for more information.

Buying or Selling Waterfront Property

Are you buying and/or selling waterfront property? Are you a real estate agent? We have special resources designed to help you navigate the Section 26a permitting process before any transaction takes place. Go to our sellers and buyers page.

Major Projects

If your project has commercial, industrial or recreational aspects, you will also need a 26a permit before you begin shoreline construction. Call the Public Lands Information Center to start the application process: (800) 882-5263. Or, send an e-mail to [email protected].

Floating Cabins

New floating cabins are prohibited on TVA’s reservoirs. Floating cabins that existed prior to December 16, 2016 may remain if they meet new standards. TVA is working with marinas and floating cabin owners to develop reasonable technical standards that will apply from a health, safety and environmental standpoint. Proposed Phase I rule amendments for floating cabins have been published for public comment. Written comments will be accepted until March 19, 2018. Learn more about floating cabins.

Contact Us

For more information or clarification, email us at[email protected], call us at (800) 882-5263 or contact your TVA Regional Watershed Office.

courtesy of TVA